Essential Excel Add-In
Essential Excel Add-In is a Microsoft Excel Add-In, written in VBA, that contains useful User Defined Functions (UDFs) and Macros to performs a number of different tasks that either Excel does not provide.
The Add-In is made up of tools, operations and UDFs. Tools are utilities that perform an operation on a range, worksheet etc. and typically have a popup with tool options. Operation are simple one click operations that can be applied to data. User Defined Functions are functions that can be used in cell calculations. The Ribbon for the Essential Excel Add-In tool. Split into two halves to fit on the screen.
For feature requests, bug reports and latest updates, visit the SourceForge site:
The latest version can be downloaded from here:
The following are required to use Spreadsheet Compare
- Excel 2000 or 2013. Note: This version is no longer under active development.
- Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019. Both x86 and x64 versions of Excel are supported.
- An Excel macro security setting low enough to run a macro.
Ribbon Tools and Operations
The Ribbon is divided into the following groups:
The Workbook Group contains tools that affect the Workbook, including:
The Worksheet Group contains tools that affect the Worksheet, including:
Selection Tools Group
The Selection Tools Group contains tools that affect the current selection in a Worksheet, including:
Selection Text Tools Group
The Selection Text Tools Group contains tools that affect the text in the current selection, including:
The Select Group contains tools that change the current selection.
The General Group contains tools that don't fit any of the other categories, including:
User Defined Functions (UDFs)
User Defined Functions (UDFs) are functions that available for use in cell calculations (like '=SUM()' and '=LEFT()'). The Add-In provides a number of UDFs for use in cell calculations (and VBA) that provide additional functionality to those provided by Excel. Some of the UDFs included are:
- Regex - Provides Regex on cell contents to provide advanced filtering.
- RegexReplace - Provides RegexReplace on cell contents to provide advanced text replacement.
- SameValue - Indicates if two values are the same. Most useful for large lists of data to compare.
- StringFormat - Formats the cell value based on the given criteria.
- VLookupAnyColumn - An easier to use version of the built in VLOOKUP.
- ReverseFind - Similar to Find, starting from the end of the string and search towards the start.
- Similarity - A string metric indicating how similar two strings are to each other.
- SelectMostSimilar - A string metric, selecting the most similar string out of a range of strings.
- VLookupSelectMostSimilar - A cross between SelectMostSimilar and VLookupAnyColumn. A string metric, selecting the most similar string out of a range of strings and the returning the value from another range.
If you find Essential Excel Add-In useful, you might also be interested in the Spreadsheet Compare Excel Add-In which is a comparison tool for Excel.